Sunday, July 12, 2009

End of the Year...TA DA!

The last day of school. It brings mixed emotions - but mainly lots of joy...finally I will see some sunshine before June is OVER! Our last day (with students) was June 19 - it seemed like forever.

Anyway, my colleague (Kim) mentioned to me that the kids would enjoy making ice cream sandwiches - of course she was right! Kim had an "ice cream sandwich maker" that she bought in the spring at a Pampered Chef party. Side note- we were bummed to find out that Pampered Chef no longer makes this nifty item. So if you have seen it or something similar, I would like to know where! The students really enjoyed using this to make their ice cream sandwiches. Simple, but sweet! Kim graciously allowed for the students to use hers if they wanted.

We needed an educational part to this ice cream sandwich making fiasco. So I came up with "The Nutritional Facts of an Ice Cream Sandwich" Talk about cross-curriculum! The students used their math skills to count the calories of the ice cream and the cookies. Take a look at the website where I post the documents for the worksheet.

In our school system we were fortunate enough to get Promethean Boards this year, so I have the flip chart that you will need for this lesson - just email me! If you don't have a Promethean Board, I will gladly put it into a powerpoint - just email me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like It!

Contact Me